Till startsida
To content Read more about how we use cookies on gu.se

FAQ - Frequently asked questions


We receive numerous questions from students so we have compiled the most frequently asked questions and our answers below. You can always address your questions to studenthousing@gu.se. However, during busy periods, we might not always be able to provide you with an answer.

The rooms and residences
The keys
The rent and rental periods
The payment

The rooms and residences

When will I know my address in Gothenburg?

You will get the complete address upon your arrival. If you need this information for your visa application, please contact us.

Can I change rooms or residences at the end of the autumn semester?

Yes, you can move to another room or to another residence at the start of the spring semester. You need to make a request before 15 November. After this date, you will not be able to move to another flat.
Please note that it is not possible to change rooms or residences during the semester.

Is the internet connection in the room wireless?

No, you need to bring an Ethernet cable (network cable). For more information, check Internet access.

Is there a telephone line in the room or a public phone in the hall?

No, there are no telephones installed. We recommend that you use a mobile phone. You will be given a Swedish SIM-card as part of your welcome pack during Welcome Programme.

What furniture will I find in the room?

All rooms come with basic furniture such as a desk, a bookshelf, a bed, chairs and lamps.

The rest, e.g. kitchen utensils, light bulbs, duvets/pillows, bed linens and towels etc.,are your own responsibility.

Is the bathroom private or shared?

All our accommodations have a private bathroom, with a toilet and either a bath tub or a shower.

What is the size of the bed? Do I need to bring my own bedding?

All beds are of standard size, i.e., app. 90 x 200 cm. In Sweden the standard size for pillows is 50 x 60 cm, and for covers 150 x 200 cm, but that can of course vary.
You can find a duvet and pillow left by previous exchange students, but there is no guarantee.

What is included in the kitchenette?

The kitchenette is equipped with a stove, oven, fridge and freezer. In Medicinareberget, there is no oven but instead a microwave. A dining table is placed in the living room/bedroom. The kitchenette is a part of the entrance area. As for kitchen utensils, you can often find cutlery, a tea kettle as well as plates and glasses left by former students, but it is also possible that you will not find anything. Note that we do not provide kitchen utensils and that we do not keep track of the utensils left by previous students.

Where can I wash my clothes? Is there a washing machine or do I have to go to a self-service laundry?

There are common laundry rooms in all residences where you can wash both clothes and linen. You will get more information regarding booking and other rules upon arrival. Note that this service is included in the rent, so you do not have to pay extra to do your laundry.

Can I have a guest staying in my room?

Yes, you can have visitors, but you can not have someone stay in the room on a regular basis and only as long as it does not disturb other tenants.

I would like to bring my dog. Is that fine?

No pets are allowed in any of our accommodations.

I plan to bring my car. Are there parking lots available?

Contact the SGS Housing office, bf@sgsstudentbostader, phone 46 (0)31 333 6300, if you would like to apply for a parking space. 

Is there a dining hall in any of the residences?

No, there is no dining hall in any of our residences. Students need to cook their meals themselves. Note that several of the university buildings offer dining hall/cafeteria services, but food is usually served until 4 pm at the latest.                      


I will arrive before Arrival Day. Can I have access to my room then?

You will find all necessary information regarding the arrival period in our Arrival guide.

How can I get my keys when the office is closed?

If you arrive when the office is closed, you have to arrange your own accommodation for the first night/s. For short-term accommodation, check SGS short-term accommodation.

Can I let someone else pick up the key for me?

Yes, if needed you can ask for example a friend who will arrive earlier or a Student Buddy to pick up your keys. It is important that you inform us about that person's name in advance.

When I move out, where should I return the keys?

All keys should be returned to the SGS area office. For addresses and hours, check the section on Residences and choose the relevant area in the menu to the left.

I lost my keys. Do I have to pay for them?

You are responsible for all keys handed to you on your arrival. In case of any lost keys, you are obliged to pay for a new lock and keys to the accommodation and/or shared spaces. See the Terms of tenancy for more information.                        

The rent and rental periods 

Is home insurance included in the rent?

No, home insurance is not included in the rent. You are fully responsible for accommodation and keys, as stated in the Terms of tenancy. Before you leave your home country, we advise you to purchase home insurance.
Make sure you also read the information regarding insurance for international students.

Do I have to pay for water or electricity?

No, water, electricity and heating are included in the rent and so is high-speed internet access. See the Rent payment plan for rental rates.

Can I move in before the start of the semester and move out after the end of it? Does it cost extra to stay after the Christmas holiday or during the summer?

Check the section Rent payment plan for more information.

The payment

How often do I have to pay the rent?

Invoices for payment of rent are issued twice per semester if you are an exchange student (non-exchange students are invoiced two months at a time). Each invoice has a unique invoice number that you need to provide with the payment. You therefore need to wait for a new invoice before paying for the next period. Check Rent payment plan for information about rental rates and the payment plan.

When and where will I get the invoices for rent?

The first invoice will be sent to your home address. You will receive all necessary information when we send you a confirmation of housing. All subsequent invoices will be sent to your address in Gothenburg.

Can I pay my rent in cash? Can I pay with a cheque?

No, you need to make your payment to one of our bank accounts as indicated in the Rent payment plan. When you are in Sweden, you can pay at any bank office, but banks usually charge a fee for such a service.

How can I pay with a credit card?

If you want to pay your rent with a credit card when you are in Gothenburg, you can for example go to Forex Bank. Address: Kungsportsavenyn 22.

You need to bring the following:

  • The credit card
  • Your passport
  • The invoice with payment details, including our bankgiro number (see Rent payment plan).

Do not forget to write your name and the invoice number.

Can I make the payment in EURO instead of SEK?

Yes, but we cannot answer any questions about currency rates. The bank will convert the deposit into SEK. If it turns out that you have paid too much or too little, we will notify you.

Can you confirm that you have received my payment?

No, we do not provide payment receipt since the registration of payment is handled by the University´s Unit of Finance. If your payment has not been received or if any problems occur, you will be notified.

Contact Information

Student Housing Services

University of Gothenburg
Box 100, SE 405 30 Gothenburg

Visiting Address:
Medicinaregatan 20A

46 (0)31 786 2162


Page Manager: Student Housing Services|Last update: 3/31/2016

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?