Study counselling for immigrants - Education, University of Gothenburg, Sweden Till startsida
To content Read more about how we use cookies on
  • Access course in Swedish

    Completing an access course in Swedish will give you the necessary entry requirement for studies at universities and university colleges in Sweden.

    Access course in Swedish (only available in Swedish)

  • Bridging programmes


  • Mentoring programme "University Friend"

    Do you have an upper secondary school diploma or did you start university studies in your home country and want to continue to study in Sweden?

    This mentoring programme matches students from the University of Gothenburg with newcomers to Sweden to give newcomers an introduction to higher education studies in Sweden. It’s intended to be both fun and informative, with the mentor and mentee sharing their experiences and knowledge from different countries. Mentors and mentees meet at five facilitated group meetings on various themes that in various ways can assist the mentees on their path to university studies. In between these group meetings, the mentors and mentees meet each other individually.

    For questions, please e-mail

    The mentoring programme "University Friend" is a collaboration between the University of Gothenburg and the Integration Centre of the City of Gothenburg. Please note that this requires that you can speak Swedish.

  • Auditing lectures

    Would you like to try out studying at university and gain a better understanding of what academic studies entail? The University of Gothenburg allows you to audit lectures.

    Lectures are given in Swedish or English. So it’s essential that you have sufficient knowledge in one of these languages to be able to follow a lecture. Auditing lectures does not entitle you to any higher education credits, and does not give you priority if you apply later to study at the University.

    Contact if you are interested. State what subjects, programmes or courses you are interested in auditing. We cannot guarantee that all lectures can be audited, so it’s a good idea to provide a number of alternatives.

  • Internships for people from refugee background

    University of Gothenburg offers internships for newly arrived refugees, in cooperation with the Swedish Public Employment Service. To be entitled to an internship, you need to have a residence permit.

    If you are interested in doing an internship at the University, contact the Swedish Public Employment Service and ask the official in charge to contact Human Resources at University of Gothenburg for more information about available internships.

    Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen - external page)


Evaluation and recognition of foreign qualifications

If you have previously studied at a university or university college, you can have your qualification evaluated for recognition by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR). UHR's statement of recognition shows what your foreign qualifications correspond to in the Swedish education system. Having this statement is useful for planning your future university studies or when looking for a job.

If you have a foreign upper secondary qualification, a statement from UHR will show whether this satisfies the general entry requirements for university studies in Sweden. The statement also shows if you satisfy the specific entry requirements in certain subjects. If you want to continue your studies in Sweden, it can be good to know from this statement whether you will need to supplement your foreign qualifications before you can apply for university studies in Sweden.

Don’t have documentation of your foreign qualifications?

If you have a foreign post-secondary qualification, but don’t have the documentation for all or part of your qualification, you can apply for a background paper, which is a description of a foreign qualification. By applying for a background paper from the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR), you can obtain a document that you can use when planning further studies, for validation of your skills, or when applying for jobs.

Validation of prior learning is about giving recognition to those who are missing documents from previous studies or have worked for a long time within a profession. When you have been admitted to a course or programme at the University of Gothenburg we make an individual evaluation. There are different ways of doing this. The evaluation may include interviews with experts, theoretical or practical tests or assignments.

No documents from your foreign education? (external page)

Questions about recognition of prior learning

You can contact the University coordinator for validation if you have questions about the University's work with validation and recognition of prior learning.

Pernilla Hultberg, coordinator for validation

Fulfilling entry requirements for university

To be admitted for university studies, some prior knowledge is required. To fulfil the general entry requirements, you need to have:

  • Completed a foreign secondary school qualification
  • A good knowledge of Swedish* and English
  • You may also need a knowledge of mathematics, depending on when you left secondary school.

*A knowledge of Swedish will not be required for courses and programmes fully taught in English.

If you do not have a foreign upper secondary qualification, you should speak to the adult education section in your home municipality for more information.

Entry requirements (external page)

Other ways of fulfilling entry requirements

If you cannot fulfil the formal general entry requirements for higher education studies, the University of Gothenburg can evaluate your experience from working life and from voluntary work or other activities through what is termed recognition of prior learning. This is an alternative way of demonstrating that you have the necessary competence to handle the course/programme you have applied for.

Entrance requirements

Unsure about whether you fulfil the general entry requirements?

You’ll find more information about general entry requirements, documentation and important dates in the section Admissions.

How to apply

You apply to study via (in Swedish) or (in English). The website lists all of the courses and programmes of study taught in Swedish and to some extent also in English. The website lists all the courses and programmes of study taught in English at Swedish universities as well as information about what you need to think about when applying for a programme of study or a course.

Study counselling

Do you have any further questions or concerns about planning your university studies? You are most welcome to contact the study counsellors at the University of Gothenburg.

Did you end up right?

  • Do you live outside Sweden and are considering studying at the University of Gothenburg? Please go to: Admissions.
  • Do you live outside Sweden and are admitted to our University and looking for information that can help you prepare for your arrival and stay in Gothenburg? Please go to: Incoming Student.
Page Manager: Educational Affairs|Last update: 5/11/2020

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?