Bringing your family to Sweden - Education, University of Gothenburg, Sweden Till startsida
To content Read more about how we use cookies on

Study as a parent

On this page you find information about studying as a parent at the University of Gothenburg. We also give you some important advice to think about before coming to Sweden with your family. 

Bebis, bild: Johan Wingborg

Housing and residence permits

If you are planning to bring your family to Sweden during your studies, there are some things that are important to know. It is quite hard to find housing for all students in Gothenburg, but it is especially hard to find for a whole family. To avoid the stress of coming here without having a place to stay, there are two things we recommend: 

  • Start looking for housing as soon as you have been admitted. 
  • Consider to travel alone to Gothenburg at first. It is easier to find single room housing and once you are here you can look for accommodation that suits families. 

Please note that the University has no means of helping you with housing if you arrive here in Gothenburg without having your accommodation in order. 

About finding housing in Gothenburg

Applying for residence permit for the whole family

Regardless if your family travels with you or joins you later, you should still apply for your residence permit as a family to ensure that the processing time is as short as possible.

About applying for a residence permit

Economy and Health Care

When you live in Sweden (for at least 1 year), you may be entitled to different types of compensation from Försäkringskassan, such as child allowance and housing allowance.

Child allowance at

Housing allowance at

You are also entitled to medical care and dental care under the same terms as other residents.

Health care in Sweden


You have the same right to preschool or child-minder whether you are a student or have an employment. This means that if you are a part-time student you have the right to have your child in childcare part time and if you are a full-time student you have the right to have your child in childcare full time. The same rules apply if you are a distance student.
NB: If you bring your partner to Sweden, both of you must have full time jobs or studies to have your child in childcare full time. If your partner is unemployed the right to childcare is part time (ca. 3-5h/day)

You can apply for a place in childcare or a family day care home six months before you need the place, and the child must be at least one years old to get a place.

Childcare in Sweden (

Childcare in Gothenburg (

Plan your time

To study full time is to study Monday to Friday, 8-17. You have the right to get information about schedule, examinations and mandatory elements at least two weeks before the course starts so you can plan your time ahead. This is according to the rules in the Local Rules for Studies at the University of Gothenburg.

At group work we recommend that you inform your fellow students that you are a parent and that you have to plan your activities in advance.

If you are a programme student and wish to postpone your education for parental leave, contact your study counsellor or director of studies.

Do you need support or have questions about your study situation, contact our student counsellors.

Nursing tables and rooms for breastfeeding

In the University of Gothenburg’s facilities you can almost always find a rest room with a nursing table and almost always a room for breastfeeding or relaxation room. Contact your nearest Service Centre or your department for access.

Page Manager: Welcome Services|Last update: 7/23/2019

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?