Residence permit - Education, University of Gothenburg, Sweden Till startsida
To content Read more about how we use cookies on

Residence permit

Students from outside the EU/EEA must have a residence permit to enter and study in Sweden. Citizens of an EU/EEA country only need a valid passport or ID card clearly stating their nationality to enter Sweden.

Citizens of an EU/EEA country

Entering Sweden

To enter Sweden, citizens of an EU/EEA country only need a valid passport or ID card clearly stating their nationality.

Right of residence 

The right of EU citizens to stay in Sweden without a residence permit is called right of residence. As a student you have right of residence and thus you do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency to enter the country.

Registration in the Swedish population register
If you plan to study and stay in Sweden for more than a year you are generally required to be registered in the Swedish Population Register. In order to become registered (folkbokförd) you need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) that you have moved to Sweden. This can be done by visiting one of their service offices (servicekontor) in Gothenburg. When you have been registered you will be given a Swedish personal ID number
To be able to register you need to provide Skatteverket with the following documents: 

  • A matriculation letter or proof of registration as a student at the University of Gothenburg. This document can be printed by the student after enrolment.
  • A certificate of admission from your school showing the period of your studies (more than one year).
  • Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or proof of comprehensive health insurance valid for one year. 
  • A self-signed assurance that you have sufficient funds to support yourself for the duration of your studies (the Swedish Tax Agency will provide you with a form that you can sign to assure this)

You present these documents after your arrival in Gothenburg, not before.  

Swedish Tax Agency's website

Citizens of a non-EU/EEA country

Entering Sweden

If you are a citizen of a non EU/EEA country and are planning to stay for longer than three months, you need a residence permit before entering Sweden. For studies that are shorter than three months, citizens from certain countries must have an entry visa.

You apply for a residence permit at the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country. The process of getting your residence permit may take up to 12 weeks, so be sure to apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance. It is important that you have your residence permit card with you when entering Sweden.

To obtain a residence permit you must:

  • Have a valid passport;
  • Be admitted to full-time studies;
  • Be able to support yourself financially for the planned study period;
  • Have a comprehensive health insurance if you are admitted to studies for less than one year.

For further information about rules and procedures, please visit the Swedish Migration Board's website. Also, do not hesitate to contact the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country. 

Swedish Migration Board's website

Swedish Migration Board visiting adress: Vestagatan 2

Working in Sweden

As an international student, you are allowed to work alongside your studies. If you are a citizen of a non-EEA country, you must have a residence permit in order to work in Sweden.

Working in Sweden,

Page Manager: Welcome Services|Last update: 4/7/2020

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?

Denna text är utskriven från följande webbsida:
Utskriftsdatum: 2020-07-12