Personal identity number - Education, University of Gothenburg, Sweden Till startsida
To content Read more about how we use cookies on

Personal Identity Number

If you are planning to study in Sweden for one year or more, you need to be registered in the Swedish population register. Once registered, you will be issued a personal identity number, or personnummer. To register you must apply in person at the Swedish Tax Agency.

Why a personal identity number?

The ten-digit registration number called personnummer simplifies a whole range of transactions and services in Swedish society. For instance, it enables you to get an identity card, open a bank account and receive healthcare benefits. Students who have a personal identity number are entitled to medical care under the same conditions as Swedish citizens.

Apply for a personal identity number

To apply for a personnummer, you need to hand in your application at a tax agency office*.

Make sure you bring the following documents

  • A valid passport (or a valid national identity card if you are a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area [EEA] or Switzerland).
  • A residence permit card valid for at least one year if you are a citizen of a country outside the EEA or if you are stateless. This also applies to citizens of Switzerland.
  • Proof of right of residence if you are a citizen of an EEA country. See the section Residence permit for information about the right of residence.
  • Proof of your marital status (applicable only if you are married, divorced or widowed).
  • Birth certificates if you have children.

All documents must be original or certified copies.

*The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) has several offices in Gothenburg:

Read more about civic registration on the Swedish Tax Agency’s website.

Inform the University about your newly acquired personal identity number

As soon as you have obtained a personal identity number, contact one of our Servicecenters or your department to replace the temporary identification number in our systems. This will help you avoid future administrative problems. Make sure to bring the personbevis document.

Page Manager: Welcome Services|Last update: 4/5/2019

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?